Light is essential for us to see, but can also be damaging. Unless the eye has adequate protection, light creates harmful free radicals (unstable oxygen molecules, which if left unchecked can severely damage cells) in the eye. This can lead to impaired eyesight, particularly as we grow older. Smoke, pollution and even our diet (eg hydrogenated fats, alcohol) can also create harmful free radicals. The body makes its own antioxidants to quench these free radicals, but it also relies on natural antioxidants in our diet for full protection.
Two natural, yellow antioxidants that are particularly important for eyesight are Lutein and Zeaxanthin. The eye’s ‘macula’, which sits within the retina, is often called the ‘yellow spot’ because it collects Lutein and Zeaxanthin. These antioxidants are believed to help protect the retina from free radical damage. Antioxidants also help protect the eye’s delicate lens, and its ‘rod’ and ‘cone’ cells, from free radicals. Without sufficient antioxidant protection, the lens can become hard and cloudy. ‘Rods’ help us see in dim light, and ‘cones’ in bright light and sharp images.
- This super potency complex provides Lutein and Zeaxanthin
- Vitamins A, C and E, Zinc and Selenium help quench light-induced free radicals in the eyes.
- Vitamin B2 is important for normal eye structure
- Vitamin A is important for night vision
- Tomato - contains antioxidant lycopene
- No added: Salt, wheat, gluten, yeast, lactose, dairy products, artificial preservatives, colours or flavourings.
One capsule typically provides: 30mg Lutein Complex (5%), 30mg Zeaxanthin Complex (5%), 60mg Vitamin C, 18mg Bilberry... more 30mg Lutein Complex (5%), 30mg Zeaxanthin Complex (5%), 60mg Vitamin C, 18mg Bilberry standardised extract (25% anthocyanidins), 5mg (7.5iu) Vitamin E, 2mg Vitamin B2, 3mg Zinc, 250µg (833iu) Vitamin A, 75µg Selenium, Tomato.
Suggested intake: Take 1-2 capsules a day, with meals.